Thursday, May 23, 2013

Johnny Beaudine & Deep Blue - House of Jazz - About our Repertoire

One of the books I've been reading lately is "The Jazz Standards: A Guide to the Repertoire" by Ted Gioia.

This comes Amazon.com's description of the book.

"Many books recommend jazz CDs or discuss musicians and styles, but this is the first to tell the story of the songs themselves. The fan who wants to know more about a jazz song heard at the club or on the radio will find this book indispensable. Musicians who play these songs night after night now have a handy guide, outlining their history and significance and telling how they have been performed by different generations of jazz artists. Students learning about jazz standards now have a complete reference work for all of these cornerstones of the repertoire."

I've learned a great deal about the songs in the Deep Blue repertoire and that gives
the playing of these songs a new perspective and a new depth.


I recommend the book to players and listeners.

New Directions

It's not easy to find something different in the wake of not being able to do what I do, perform. I've decided to revert back to my...